Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Working of Something

A character has been brewing in my brain for the last 15 years. He was first a D&D character who grew beyond that. His name is Buka Samovar. I have not written about him yet because I didn't want to try until I thought I was ready to do the character justice. One of the biggest stumbling blocks was that fact that being a D&D character, a lot of his backstory grew from material copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast. Well, I had a breakthrough. Buka the Halfling (Hobbit) rogue is now an Orang Pendek. I found the type of mythological trickster that I had been searching for. Now I just have to lets Buka's stories flow.

1 comment:

Scott D. Parker said...

I understand your reticence not to put pen to paper to write a beloved character until your chops have been more fully honed. I want to write a story about the Houston race riot of 1917. But I want to make sure I don't 'screw' up the book. So I'm waiting. But I'm looking forward to Buka. You can just change things a bit and avoid the trademarks.